Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Chugga Chugga CHOO CHOO!

DAY 120

30 APR 09

I didn't feel like cooking. I was tired and I was cranky, and my mother (who's visiting) and I decided we were fast fooding it. Off we went to our local KFC. Unfortunately, between the time of our order and payment and the time of food delivery, they managed to run out of part of what we ordered. So we had to wait.

While I waited, I searched for something interesting to look at. And failed. So, of course, I pulled out the camera. Isn't that what everybody does when there's nothing too look at? ;) Seriously, things -- even nothing -- often look different when viewed through the lens of a camera.

In this case, the nothing I shot included the cars in line at the drive-thru window, the parking lot security lights, the hardware store sign across the street. And then the railroad crossing warning started going nuts.

WOO HOO!, I thought. I can try to get a shot of the train! I knew it'd be a challenge; the sun was pretty much gone. I tried bracing my arms against my truck's door, then started shooting.

The first shot was kind of cool -- I had great motion with the train's engine. Unfortunately, my hands must have jerked. Stuff was blurred that shouldn't have been.

RATS!

Still, I kept shooting. This photo was one of the handful I took. Motion in the railcars isn't quite as evident in this picture. It's not exactly the shot I was hoping for, but I still think it works.

Post-processing: noise reduction (quite a bit because of the high ISO I used!), sharpening, black & white conversion (using Photoshop's high contrast red filter), border addition.

No comments:

Post a Comment